- Describe the difference between primary transcript and mature transcript.
- Describe how the ends of the primary transcript are stabilized during post-transcriptional processing of mRNA.
- Describe the process by which snRNPs (“snurps”) bind to primary mRNA and coalesce into spliceosomes, including the specific location to which snRNPs bind.
- Explain the role of spliceosomes in the translocation of mRNA from nucleus into the cytosol.
- Explain the role of the mRNA 5′ UTR in translation.
- Describe the events of translation initiation.
- Describe the events of translation elongation, including the roles of the A and P sites of the large subunit of the ribosome.
- Describe precisely which bonds are formed or broken by the ribosome during translation.
- Describe how translation is terminated.
- Define mutation.
- List the most common types of mutation.
- Explain the effects of mutations in coding regions (frameshift, mis-sense, nonsense, silent).
- Classify types of mutations.
- Identify if a given mutation is a frameshift, mis-sense, nonsense, and/or silent.