Electron Transport Chain and OXPHOS
Electron transport chain
Oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS)
- Outline all three mechanisms of ATP production in cells that use oxygen.
- Explain the differences in the general purpose of the electron transport chain (ETC) and oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS).
- Name and describe the relationships of the protein complexes in the mitochondrial ETC.
- Identify the location in the cell of the ETC and OXPHOS.
- Explain the function of the ETC in general.
- Explain how the ETC uses free energy from redox reactions to make the mitochondrion into a battery.
- Explain what supplies the high energy electrons to the ETC.
- Explain why and how low energy electrons are oxidized off of the ETC.
- Explain how OXPHOS produces ATP.
- Explain the role of ATP synthase in this process.